|A great way to use up leftover greens!|
1.) Egg & Greens (Joe Morelli Style) with fried egg 2.) Caramelized Onions & Zucchini 3.) Greens & Beans with Cherry Tomatoes. (egg not shown for last two pizzas.) Pizza della bianco with garlic and sharp provolone cheese.
|Egg & Greens Pizza was made using leftover greens. So delizioso!!!|
Italian Greens ~ A leftover's best friend!
Utica Greens (Deluxe Version)
· 3 heads of escarole(rinsed)
· 2 tablespoons of olive oil
· 2 cloves of garlic (pushed through a garlic press)
· 5-8 Hot cherry peppers (roughly chopped; quantity depending on how much heat you like)
· 5 -7 slices of Prosciutto, torn into 2 inch pieces
· 1 cup of plain bread crumbs, (not Italian.)
· 1 cup of artichoke hearts (quartered)
· 2 cups of mini Portobello mushrooms, (quartered)
· ¼ cup of grated cheese (Pecorino Romano or Parmigiano Reggiano) optional, but who doesn’t love cheese??
1. Cut the bottom of each escarole head, and chop into large (4 square-inch sized) pieces. Steam the escarole in a wire basket over a large pot of boiling water (2 inches of water) for about 7-8 minutes, or until limp and still a bit firm. It will reduce greatly as it steams. (Do not boil the romaine, as it may get to mushy)
2. Meanwhile, in a 12 in skillet, crisp the prosciutto, first. Next, add the hot cherry peppers, artichokes, mushrooms, and garlic on low heat in the 2 tablespoons of olive oil
3. Next, with tongs, remove the escarole from the wire basket and add it to the sauté and toss, turning quite a bit so the ingredients incorporate.
4. Sprinkle in the bread crumbs liberally and toss, thoroughly. (The breadcrumbs give a nice, fuller- bodied texture you want.)
5. Sprinkle in the grated cheese and toss again.
6. Let sit for at least 15 minutes, so the dish can blossom.